My husband and I prefer potato salads that are a little more on the vinaigrette side and less on the mayo side. This one fits the bill. It features some mayo, but the champagne vinegar makes it tangy and delightful.
I dumbed this down from a recipe by my girl the Barefoot Contessa. I cut down the number of ingredients significantly and I used red potatoes instead of Yukon Gold.
If it was just me eating it, I would have left the red peels on because I like the color and flavor, but we had company for dinner and not everyone is into that kind of thing.
So peel, chop, and boil your potatoes until fork-tender. Drain them and put them in a pretty bowl.
Mix up the following: 1 cup mayo, 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1/4 cup champagne vinegar, 2 teaspoons tarragon, 1 teaspoon dill, and a little black pepper. Pour it over your potatoes.
If you have fresh tarragon and dill, please please please use it! I love fresh herbs but sadly, they are not available to me all that often since I live in the middle of nowhere in a usually snowy climate.
I don’t like telling you what to do, but listen up right now: Pour the dressing on while the potatoes are still hot. This makes a big difference on the overall texture and helps the potatoes really absorb the dressing.
I served this alongside the burgers my husband grilled for a meal full of summery goodness.
- Peel, chop and boil 6-8 large potatoes (I used red, but you can switch it up!) until fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes and place in bowl.
- Mix together 1 cup mayo, 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1/4 cup champagne vinegar, 2 teaspoons tarragon, 1 teaspoon dill, and a little black pepper.
- Pour dressing over potatoes while still warm.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.