When your fruit bowl looks as pathetic as this, there’s only one thing to do…
Make banana bread. I have been using this recipe from Simply Recipes for a couple of years, and it’s the best.
Like all banana bread recipes, it involves mashing up some old bananas.
But then you add melted butter to the bananas. I think this is what I love most about this recipe.
Then add one beaten egg.
Then some salt and baking soda.
This recipe gives you optional amounts for sugar. I use the smallest option, which is a 1/2 cup. It is plenty sweet.
Then mix in 1 1/2 cups flour. I mix it in 1/4 cup at a time and use a fork. No mixer required.
The recipe doesn’t call for chocolate chips but my husband loves chocolate chips in banana bread so I decided to be nice. I actually much prefer banana bread without chocolate chips, but marriage is all about compromise so about every other time I make this I throw about half a cup of them in the batter.
Then it goes into the greased loaf pan and into the oven for an hour or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 4×8 loaf pan.
- Peel 3 very ripe bananas and mash them in a mixing bowl with a fork.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter in the microwave and stir it into the bananas.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- Mix in 1 beaten egg, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Mix in 1 1/2 cups flour.
- Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional).
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.