Norman turns nine this week. After his cancer scare last month and the surgery that followed, we are celebrating his life and health more than ever. This birthday cake is edible for dogs and humans, so it is perfect for spoiling our furry friend.
I scoured the web for dog-friendly cake ideas and ended up combining a couple of recipes to come up with this. It’s quick and easy. My older daughter had a great time helping bake it.
Full disclosure: It wasn’t my favorite cake in the world, but it wasn’t terrible. Norman, actually a fussy eater most of the time, devoured his serving. My daughter thought it was so cool that she and her dog brother could eat the same cake.
I loved this green striped number candle by Papyrus that I found at Safeway. My daughter helped Norman blow out his candle and said she made a wish for him. Later, she revealed the wish: “I hope Norman gets a princess.” I think he has more princesses around than he can handle.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (plus more for frosting the cake)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour and baking soda.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir with a spatula until combined.
- Place in a greased 9-inch pan.
- Bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 30 minutes and frost with peanut butter.
- Serve to dogs and humans alike!